40 Day Prayer Journey
“Then Jesus, being filled with the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led
by the Spirit into the wilderness, being tempted for forty days by the devil. And in
those days He ate nothing, and afterward, when they had ended, He was hungry.
Then Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee, and news of Him went out
through all the surrounding region.”
I want to invite you on a journey with me, a 40 day journey, a 40 day journey of prayer. Why 40 days? It is biblical. Jesus fasted and prayed for 40 days at the beginning of His ministry. The Bible says he was led by the Spirit into the desert to fast, pray, and be tempted by the devil. “Then Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan River. He was led by the Spirit in the wilderness, where he was tempted by the devil for forty days.” Luke 4:1-2
This was a God ordained time for Jesus. His Heavenly Father wanted to prepare Jesus spiritually for his public ministry. The Father knew His Son needed the alone time with God and the focused time in prayer with God. If Jesus was going to live in this world, overcome the devil, and complete His divine purpose, He needed to wait on the Lord. It was in waiting on God in prayer that empowered Jesus for His divine mission. Isaiah states the importance of waiting. “But those who wait on the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.” Isaiah 40:31.
The 40 days of prayer worked just like the Father designed it to work in Jesus’ life. The devil left Him, angels ministered to Him, and He gained new power. Look what it says in Luke 4:14, after the 40 days, “Then Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit.”
God can do this for you. If you devote 40 days of prayer to the Lord, you also can receive greater power. Greater power over sin in your life. Greater power in your ministry. Greater power in your marriage and family, and greater power in walking with the Lord.
Here are some great takeaways for you:
1. This world you live in is a desert place. It does not offer spiritual nourishment for you. It is a dry and barren place.
2. The devil is like a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. Just like the devil tempted Jesus, so the devil will attack you with temptation.
3. If Jesus needed to pray, you do too. Jesus was led by the Spirit to pray. The Holy Spirit is calling you to pray.
4. If Jesus needed power, you do too. Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit. God promises power to those who wait on God.
5. This is the beginning of a new year. If you seek the Lord, you will find Him.
6. Time spent with God equals power from God. This is a key to the anointing. Be in His presence. Call upon His name. If you do, He will empower you.
Will you join me in prayer? Will you set aside 40 days?
40 days to seek the Lord.
40 days to surrender to the Lord.
40 days to call on the name of the Lord.
40 days to wait on the Lord.
“Prayer is God’s idea. If you didn’t want to hear from you he wouldn’t invite you to pray. God wants to hear from you because he loves you. He cares about every detail of your life. There is nothing too big or too small for his attention.”
“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is runaway and withers; such branches are picked up thrown in the fire and burn. If you remain in me and my words remain in you ask whatever you wish, and will be done for you. “
John 15:5-7 NIV